Polls Open from 6:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
The New Jersey State AFL-CIO wholeheartedly believes that the best candidate to represent New Jersey families in the U.S. Senate is Mayor Cory Booker. As mayor of Newark, Cory Booker has worked on reducing poverty and crime, as well as fighting to foster economic growth. We strongly believe Mayor Booker will be committed to fighting for the core values of the middle class, bringing a vision of compromise and compassion to the U.S. Senate.
Mayor Booker’s opponent and Tea Party candidate Steve Lonegan on the other hand has an abysmal record and would spell disaster for our state’s working families.
- Lonegan says that Governor Christie hasn’t gone far enough to bust New Jersey’s unions.
- Lonegan supports “right to work” for less legislation.
- Lonegan opposes paid family leave.
- Lonegan supports the divisive actions of Tea Party politicians in Washington to shut down the U.S. government.
- Lonegan opposes the use of project labor agreements.
- Lonegan opposes raising the minimum wage believing it should be eliminated altogether.
- Lonegan would privatize Medicare and gamble Social Security benefits in the stock market, putting seniors at risk.
Given the stances and positions of the candidates in this election, it is very clear that Mayor Cory Booker is the best candidate to represent the interests of working families both in our state and in Washington, DC. Working together we will elect a true working families champion to the U.S. Senate.