The New Jersey State AFL-CIO is proud to endorse Senator Bob Menendez. Since he was first elected to the U.S. Senate in 2006, Bob Menendez has fought to protect workers’ rights and to promote policies that strengthen and grow our middle class. His focus lies on ensuring fair treatment, basic rights, workplace safety, and a living wage for all workers.
Top Ten Reasons to Vote for Bob Menendez
- Senator Menendez defends workers’ rights. He supports the Davis-Bacon Act and other prevailing wage laws that ensure workers are paid fairly. He also supports project labor agreements that set important safety and skill standards.
- Senator Menendez condemned the Supreme Court’s decision in the case of Janus v. AFSCME Council 31. He released the following statement expressing his disapproval: “With this ruling, the Supreme Court has sided against our teachers and nurses, our police officers and firefighters, and all hardworking Americans who have chosen public service careers,” he said. “As devastating as this 5-4 ruling is, no court case will change the fact that unions play a key role in helping public employees to organize and act collectively to improve their work conditions and their relationships with their employers. We should make it easier for hardworking people to join unions and organize to defend their rights, not harder.”
- Senator Menendez cosponsored the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act to help end pay discrimination. This law closed a loophole that made it easier for unscrupulous employers to get away with discriminating based on a worker’s gender, race, religion, sexual orientation, or disability.
- Senator Menendez has fought to save American jobs and level the playing field with foreign competitors. For instance, in 2017, he opposed the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP), a trade deal that would have resulted in the loss of countless American jobs.
- Senator Menendez protected our retirement. He has fought back against Wall Street attempts to privatize our Social Security and Medicare for their own benefit. He will protect our pensions from attempted cuts and ensure our retirement is secure.
- Senator Menendez has secured funding to rebuild, improve, and protect our transportation infrastructure. This is critical to regional commerce and will, in turn, create hundreds of jobs. He has also fought for funding to continue the Gateway Tunnel project.
- Senator Menendez seeks to give Americans the tools for success. He supported the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act to improve our nation’s workforce development, putting Americans back to work and giving workers the opportunity to advance their careers. In recent years, these programs have helped more than 20 million people find good jobs and a pathway to the middle class.
- Senator Menendez has consistently fought to help New Jerseyans afford the health care they deserve. He voted to close the Medicare donut hole and lower costs for seniors and has cosponsored the CREATES Act to end abusive behavior by drug companies and make low-cost generics more readily available to patients.
- Senator Menendez opposed tax bills that hurt New Jersey. He fought against anti-New Jersey tax changes, such as Trump’s federal cap on property tax deductions, which raises taxes on working families.
- Senator Menendez supports public education. He is a champion of students and teachers and will take on the corporate agenda to gut funding of our public schools. He will increase funding for public education so that all of our kids, not just those who can afford it, have the opportunity to go to college or learn a skilled trade.